Question 1 A
Multimedia is a combination of several of media that creates the presentation or the application interactive. It combines the use of various types of media such as text, graphics, audio, video and animation in order to create an interactive presentation or application through electronic medium such as computer. There are 3 main words that explained what multimedia is. The 3 main words are the combination, interactive and electronic medium.
The integration of the 3 main words/elements defines clearly what is multimedia. Multimedia combines the usage of text, animation in creating an interactive presentation. However, the presentation must be done in electronic medium such as in computer so that the interactivity of the presentation can be done effectively.
According to Wikipedia, multimedia defined as a media and content that utilizes a combination of different content forms. The term can be used as a noun (a medium with multiple content forms) or as an adjective describing a medium as having multiple content forms. The term is used in contrast to media which only utilize traditional forms of printed or hand-produced material. Multimedia includes a combination of text, audio, still images, animation, video, and interactivity content forms.
Today, an interactive presentation can be easily done through the usage of software such as Microsoft Power Point. A user can combines the usage of animation on the text easily to create a simple interactive presentation slides.
Question 1 B
Today, the use of multimedia not limited for commercial usage as now multimedia presentation are widely used for the learning usage. Companies such as Hasbro and Leap Frog are now rapidly creating interactive software and games in order to gain market share in edutainment industry.
Now, education in Malaysia is also moving toward interactive learning system. The introduction of smart school as one of the flagship of MSC is one of the proof that the government is now utilising the usage of multimedia in education industry. Nowadays, most of classroom in Malaysia are equipped with projector that will be used by the teacher as the medium for teaching for the students. However, this method of teaching are still not widely used in all classroom as some teachers and student still prefer the use of text books in day-to-day class activity.
The use of multimedia technology can give good influence in future schooling system. It can use widely in setting up an edutainment software for the students especially in giving homework for the students. The school may choose to have their own website so that homework can be downloaded or can be done online. It can make the students more excited as they are now doing the homework differently as compared to the old days. However, not all the students have the computer facility. Thus the school or Education Ministry must provide such facility such as computer lab to facilitate the ease for the students.
The use of multimedia technology is also give value add for the students. The students not only learned theirs subject but also will gain some knowledge in computing.
Not all aspects of schooling can use the multimedia technology as some aspect of schooling still require the traditional way. Aspect in learning of arts subjects and physical classroom session still require the traditional way as both aspect still require face-to-face interaction between the teacher and the students. The other aspect of school that cannot be replaced with multimedia technology is the examination. The examination session still requires the tradition way. This is because by using multimedia technology in conduction examination may lead to other problems. However, multimedia technology still can be used in examination session as additional feature in examination such as it can be used in informing the students on the venue, date and time of the exam.
Question 1 C
Nowadays, online shopping is very popular and widely used by almost all internet users. Online shopping website such as lelong.com.my, mudah.com.my, and e-bay are some of online shopping websites that are widely accessed by internet users. There are some advantages of online shopping. Some of the advantages are:
1. Ease & peace of shopping
– Online shopping offer peace and ease shopping mood to the user. This is because the user can shop at anytime they like without going to the actual shopping mall. User is also can browse through the product catalogue at their leisure time as the product catalogue available through the online shopping website.
2. Able to compare product price & feature
– Most of online shop provides the facility /tool for the user to compare every product price & price that they offered. With this tool, the customer can make better buying decision with less effort made because they can compare more than 1 product at one time.
3. Access to almost all products
– The online shopping provides almost all products in the internet. The user can browse through all products that are sold in the online shopping as the internet provides gateway not only to local online shopping mall but also other countries online shopping mall. The consumer may also purchase overseas products that are not sold in Malaysia with online shopping.
– Online shopping offer the user/consumer the convenience in finding the product, time for shopping and free from buying pressure as the shopping was made at the consumer/user’s end. This is because the user/consumer will do the shopping at their place without having to go to the shopping mall.
Although online shopping offers several advantages to the user, it also does have some shortage/disadvantages. Some of the advantages of online shopping are:
1. Too many choice of products
– As the online shopping offers variety types of products, it also offers to the consumer many choices of different brands of the same product. It may invites confusion to the consumer in making decision on which brand to be bought as all the products may have similar features and characteristics.
– There is no guarantee that the customer private details will be kept secretly by the company whose the customer had a transaction earlier. Private details such as e-mails and phone numbers are usually given to third party by the company as a part of their business arrangement. However, this issue has been address in some countries whereby the privacy of individual data is protected by a specific act for instance in USA, the consumer is protected by Privacy Act.
3. ‘Feel’ of the product
– Although online shopping offer convenience at consumer’s end, however the consumer does not have the opportunity to feel and to try the product before the purchase was made. This is because the consumer totally relying on the product catalogue displayed in online shopping mall compared to the traditional way of shopping that permits the consumer to try the product before decision to buy is made.
– Cyber security against cyber attacks such as phishing, virus, trojan, spam and etc are some of cyber attacks are known today. As an online shopping provider, threat such as phishing and IP spoofing are the major concerns. This is because online shopping involves not only online catalogue browsing and online order but it also involves electronic financial transaction. Encryption and firewall are the examples of most famous method to be used in minimize cyber attacks threats in online shopping.
Although online shopping is a fast growing trend nowadays, however it does not give big impact to the traditional brick & mortar type of shopping malls. Consumers are still opting to go to the shopping mall because by shopping at the mall it gives the consumers the opportunity to try the product before they choose to buy it.
Another reason why online shopping does not give big impact to the traditional shopping mall is because online shopping does imposed extra delivery charges to the product purchased by the consumer. The extra charge is for the delivery on the product bought by the consumer.
Online shopping is an alternative for shopping to the consumer. Thus, traditional shopping mall may still be the main preference for most of the consumer to buy what they want.
Question 2 A
Web 2.0 is the latest version of web development tool that is widely used nowadays. Websites such as Facebook, MySpace and Blogger.com are some of the websites that use the Web 2.0 platform. Before the Web 2.0 phenomenon advent, the World Wide Web is known as Web 1.0 where the information is one way traffic. This is because the information in the website is provided by the provider to the end user.
The Web 2.0 was introduced with its aim to enhance communication, creativity, secure information sharing and functionality of the web.
With the emergence of Web 2.0, now more people creating their own blog instead of personal websites. File sharing nowadays is done by using Torrent, and internet users are now searching information through Wikipedia instead of online encyclopaedias.
During Web 1.0 days, personal websites were wide created by the users. It contains mainly static pages which are hosted on free services such as Geocities and Bravehost. Nowadays, internet users are actively creates new blogs that allowing reader to comment on posts posted which was not available during Web 1.0.
In my opinion, the Web 2.0 has brought significant impact to the internet user recently. This is because Web 2.0 has made the internet more interactive and eases to use. This is supported by the growing numbers of blogs created everyday. In wordpress.com itself, the number of blogs created daily is more that 10,000 blogs.
During the Web 1.0 era, the personal websites are mostly developed by those who are computer literates. But with the emergence of Web 2.0, most internet users can have their personal blogs ready within a minute. File sharing is also easy using Web 2.0 platform.
Social networking websites such Facebook, Bebo and MySpace are now is amongst most visited websites by internet user daily as these websites are widely used by today’s internet users.
Question 2 B
Websites such as Facebook, MySpace and YouTube are among the websites that are most visited by internet users daily. All these websites are widely used by the internet users nowadays with most of every user of the internet might have an account with one of these websites.
These websites is known as social networking site which allow the user to interact or to share files such as photos with other registered members. However, these websites have its strength and limitations. Even the new elected US President Barack Obama have his own Facebook profile.
1. Free registration
2. Can be accessed through mobile version via m.facebook.com
3. Easy navigation
4. Free from spam messages as the user page can be commented only by theirs approved friends
5. Can share videos, movie clips, pictures and blogcast from external websites
6. Open source applications where members can develop additional applications to be installed by users
7. Powerful search function whereby it can be filter according the user needs ie by the member’s network ring
8. Customised features – user can disable some feature that they do not want
9. Have its own Blackberry version
10. Have various language that can be used by the user
11. Have the capability of recommending new friends. It was auto-populated by matching the user location, interest or workplace
12. Notifications of action taken/done by registered friends
1. A user is limited to only 5000 friends
2. Too many unwanted advertisement appear to the user
3. Privacy issue – the new Term of Service allow Facebook to use any information posted by the user although him/herself have closed their account.
1. Free registration
2. Can share videos, movie clips, pictures and blogcast from external websites
3. Open source applications where members can develop additional applications to be installed by users
4. Have various language that can be used by the user
5. Have the capability of recommending new friends. It was auto-populated by matching the user location, interest or workplace
1. Do not have mobile version
2. Too slow and too heavy to surf because MySpace allow the user to add music as the background in their profile
3. Spam messages – spamming activities are heavy in MySpace websites
1. Free registration
2. Can upload/share videos and movie clips.
3. Integrate with the user’s Yahoo account
1. Do not have mobile version
2. Too slow and too heavy to surf as it is a web-streaming website
3. Only allow video sharing
4. Video uploaded have the timeline limits – not more than 30 minutes
5. Privacy issue – guest may just copy the video link and paste it to their website without the owner consent
6. Piracy issue – user may upload content which is not legally posses
In my opinion, although there are some limitations to these websites, it will still continue to grow. This is because improvement will be made by the provider in order to gain market share in the internet. As the number of internet users is growing, these websites will still continue to grow each day.
1. Prof. Dr. Mansor Fadzil et. al. (2009). Open University Malaysia: CBMT2103 – Introduction to Multimedia Technology. Kuala Lumpur. Meteor Doc. Sdn Bhd.
2. Todd Stauffer (2008). How to do everything with your Web 2.0 blog. USA. McGraw-Hill
3. Stephen J. Misovich et. al. (2003). An introduction to interactive multimedia. London. Allyn and Bacon